Formulas in Excel
In Excel, the most powerful feature is the ability to make formulas and calculate automatically the result.
In the following example, you can see the formula as being D3 times D4. Note the Equal Sign (=) in front of the formula.
A FORMULA IS ALWAYS STARTING WITH AN = SIGN.
If you wish to enter a label that starts with =, then type '=
It is very easy to enter a formula:
- select the cell where to enter the formula
- type =
- click on the first item that you want in your formula (in this case click on the cell D3 which represents your current savings)
- on the keyboard, type the operation you want to do (for example here you want to multiply (*)
- click on the second item that you want in your formula (in this case the cell D4 which represents the interest rate)
- press ENTER
- That's it, you should see the result in the cell.
Sometime the calculation is not done automatically, then press F9 (you can also change the setting to automatic in the tools/options/calculation menu.
Updated September 12th, 2010
You are visitor no: